Naismith Legacy Player Clinic: Skills training based on 34 Naismith attributes of sports
We believe that history is a great teacher and gives insight to where we have been, where we are now, and direction for the future. Therefore, we have restored the true focus of the original intent for the sport that Dr. Naismith writes about and lived out for many years in several disciplines he was involved in: from college, recreational, to the military and Olympic levels. We have revived his 34 “Values and Attributes” of the game as the benchmark for all activity in the clinic experience & based on respect and the study he has left for us to rediscover — like rare diamonds — made crystal clear by pressure and a rock that has stood the test of time. Here are a few concepts you will learn more about at our clinics:
How Does it Work?
- Contact our office to schedule the Player Clinic for your organization or team and decide when to schedule the free NL Tour and Workshops.
- Collect player fees; send us a 50% deposit 30 days prior to clinic to secure the date.
- Option to recruit a local sponsor to help discount player fees or add to your budget.
- If hosting a tour event or workshops, have few volunteers to help with set up/tear down of the exhibit, chairs, tables and audio visual items on the day of event.
- Promote to local schools, all levels of sports teams, churches, coach/official associations local community to participate.
- Indoor or Outdoor court setting Minimum of 6 baskets and hydration station
- 3 Volunteers / Coaches Two – 4 Hour sessions – 8am-12pm & 2-6pm
- Building character traits
- Building basketball skills
- Most unique format using Doc Naismith’s Attributes and Values of Basket Ball as cornerstone of program
- Most talented Naismith Legacy Clinic staff lead by Colin Wilkinson
- 60 player maximum for first session; 30 player minimum for second session
- Promotion of clinic – use our brochure to help promote and register players, as well as attract potential sponsors
- Use as a way to raise some money for your program and/or scholarship players who need financial help
- Locations to set up the Naismith Legacy Tour / Naismith – Basketball: Its Origin and Development exhibit and host the evening Coach/Parent Workshop
- Ability to serve your community by hosting the event at your facility
- Fee = $2,200, which is paid by registration fees ($35 / player)
- Each player receives a tee shirt, each volunteer receives an Official Copy of the Original Rules of Basket Ball
- If a second session is needed, we share 50% of registration fees with the host organization
- Ability to attract sponsorships or grant for community building, health, education and historical value
Typical Naismith Legacy Day Schedule
Naismith Legacy Tour / Naismith – Basketball: Its Origin and Development Exhibit
Located in high traffic area from 8am – 8pm, so community can enjoy this free unique educational experience
Morning Session Afternoon Session
8:00 – 8:29 Registration – Parent Meeting 2:00 – 2:29
8:30 – 8:44 Introduction / Words for the day 2:30 – 2:44
8:45 – 9:14 Stretch / Speed Drills 2:45 – 3:14
9:15 – 10:14 Dribbling – Origin, Development & Technique 3:15 – 4:14
10:15 – 10:34 Passing – Purpose & Technique 4:15 – 4:34
10:35 – 10:54 Naismith Break, Rest & Hydration 4:35 – 4:54
10:55 – 12:00 Shooting – Thought, Technique & Wrap Up 4:55 – 6:00
6:00 – 8:00 Naismith Legacy Tour / Naismith – Basketball: Its Origin and Development Exhibit is open
6:00 – 7:29 Community Cook Out and Corn Roast –Optional community dinner ($5/person or sponsored)
7:00 – 7:44 Coach / Parent / Official Youth Sports Workshop
7:45 – 8:00 Q&A, Wrap Up & Clean Up